COGNITIVE ANECDOTES

An effort to recapitulate and share my ideas,views and thoughts in words...




The Blue Mosque, Attribution: Source-Wikimedia,Image author:Jeremy Avnet


It was as if I was seeing myself for the first time! As I stood in front of the mirror, admiring myself, I caressed my magnificent black beard and glanced at the beauty of my golden colored skin. I had bought a Turkish cap last week from Osman; the clothier and I was going to wear it for the first time. Just then, Gulben, my beautiful wife entered. She had a glass of red cherry sherbet in her hands which I had ordered her to fetch. She looked even more beautiful in the slight ray of sunlight that hit the room. Her red veil though, hid her perfect face.


"The Sultan wants me at the palazzo, I'll have to leave, dear" I said and made my way out of my mansion after kissing my beloved's cheek. 


I worked as a minister in our Sultan's palazzo and  people called me Hikmet; meaning wisdom. Ten years ago, I would have never even dreamt of living in Istanbul and serving the Sultan. My actual name was Ishak and I came from Persia, ten years ago. I had been a good scholar then and soon was deputed as one of the Sultan's ministers.


As I peregrinated towards the palazzo, I was occupied by the bustling activity in the streets. I observed children running and playing with the toy swords, the beautiful maidens gossiping and few street dogs languishing in the front of food stalls. I could hear the sound of musical instruments as i walked past dervish houses. Osman was busy persuading customers to buy the new arrivals at his garments store. What a clever tradesman! I thought. During my melancholy walk, I wondered why the Sultan had commissioned an order for me to arrive at the palazzo, as I knew I had completed all my work and was looking forward to spending a day with my wife.


The city was as beautiful as ever. I saw that the stunning minarets, tombs and mosques acquired a golden tinge in the morning sun. The cherry and Pomegranate trees had icicles on them. Nature was recovering from yesterday nights heavy snowfall. I couldn't help praising Allah and the beauty he has endowed in earth. The air was cool, fresh and had a sweet smell of lavender dispersed in it. The gorgeous maidens smiled at me as I glanced at them, their coquettish instincts showing off, probably being intimidated by the handsomeness I possessed. 


Having walked for few minutes now, I could now see that I was approaching "Sultanahmet Camii" or the Blue mosque. With its 6 magnificent minarets, it was one of its kind. I stood gazing at this architectural marvel for some time. "The Ottomans were really gifted by Allah" I thought. I was awakened from my state of awe when the thought of Sultan's letter crossed my mind and continued walking to my destination, the palazzo. 


Sultan's men were waiting for me at the gate. They informed that a masterpiece of the great miniaturist Ismail Effendi that Sultan recently received had been stolen and I was one among the many suspects. I had seen the painting. It was a true wonder and to be honest, I had wished if I possessed it. Its exquisite work and embellishments would have had any person longing to possess it. But I had not stolen it. I wondered why the Sultan would suspect me. It was so harsh, being a loyal servant of the Sultan for years, how could he distrust me!?


The only way to find out the culprit was by torturing methods. The torturers took me and others branded as suspects into a dark room. We were stripped naked, Now, awaiting the torture, I cried to Allah. "How can they punish me? I am Innocent..Allah ! give me strength!! " A man closed in me with a dagger, or was it a dagger? I was not sure. I didn't dare to look.Soon I felt sharp pain, wincing, I jumped, and screamed at the top of my voice.


The pain subsided, I opened my eyes, to my amazement, I was sitting in my bed, sweating. I didn't have the long magnificent beard nor the fair, golden skin nor the ostentatious Turkish clothes. Grandfather was lighting the lamp. I saw the beautiful picture of lord Krishna, Ganesha and other deities in the room. Grandfather had just started praying. 


I shoved the blanket and discovered the book I had left half-read last night- "My name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk. I took the book in my hands and buried my face in its pages. I reflected again my time in Istanbul and its mystic beauty, the people I met there, Gulben, the smell of lavender that hung in the air, the blue mosque and the handsome Hikmet or..Ishak. 


Grandfather was getting irritated of the fact that I had not bothered to get up and offer my prayers. I quickly got up, prayed to lord and hurried downstairs. I stared aesthetically at the gorgeous morning sky, still, very different to the amethyst sky I saw in my dreams, where Eagles hovered over the myriad tombs and minarets of Istanbul. A strange hollow feeling haunted me, I wish I was still there, to prove my innocence to Sultan and continue my life as Hikmet, in the city where east meets west and which happens to be the most intelligent city of the world, Istanbul.







6 comments:

"Istanbul" I don't know anything about this city other than that I have read about in fairy tales .... And your post was awesome!!!

Remember?, the other day I asked you what effect the book had on you?

I got my answer... :)
I'll read that book :)

Cheers,

Hey Tanvi,

Thanks a lot...
Its a splendid city, I wont mind visiting one day hehe

and "Its" an awesome book, ...
This story is fictional k

Cheers..:)

Loved the way you presented it all.
In one word, I would call it wonderful!!
Keep on blogging and keep on keeping on :)

Thanks Netha,
Always good to hear from you...

Cheers

HAHA!!!i like this one...u really described it well....often i never can think of the beauty of places like istanbul or even turkey itself..i dunno!probably a subjective problem:Pgrowin up in the middle-east makes me appreciate "green" places like kerala, historic plaes like france and london and all... and not appreciate places like istanbul...GOD ALONE KNOWS Y!..hmmm..nw i need to see a doc!:P
but uve described it so well...so very well!!!and the idea of it being a dream....well buddy!looks like U REALLY DREAM BIG!!:D:D:D
keep bloggin man!awesome work:D:D:D

@ Saebs...
Your comment never fails to make me laugh:P:P

Great comment....
Thanks for readin...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget


Acknowledgement

The images you see in this blog are executed by my sister , Sreevidya P.A...

The Amethyst

My photo
Doctor, Passionate Guitarist, Blogger , Dreamer ....

Labels

Members...

Facebook

You like This??

Sneak Peek

Free counters!

Twitter

Vaisakh Krishnan. Powered by Blogger.
Powered By Blogger

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Blogged

Tweet Can

One moment pls

Popular Posts